Happy New Year, everyone! I hope you had a fantastic holiday season – and that you’re ready to start the year off inspired by achievable writing goals.
Just a quick editorial note today. We’re planning on doing things a little differently in 2013… For one, we want to keep bringing you new guest writers and more original creative writing. (If you’re interested in having your work featured on the site, feel free to submit! If you sent us a message around the holidays about guest posting, I was on vacation at the time. I’ll get back to you by the end of the week. Promise.)
Here’s some of the other cool stuff we’re planning on bringing you in the year ahead:
- First of all, we’re posting a writing prompt a day on our Twitter feed, so be sure to follow us. Tag your very short stories of 140 characters or less with #365story to participate. (Of course, you can always use them as springboards for longer work as well.) We’ll feature our favorites on the site. :) We’re going to try to post longer prompts on the site more often, too.
- I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately from aspiring writers who want to know more about breaking into the business of writing. So I’m going kick off a new series next Monday. Every week I’ll talk about practical ways you can turn your hobby into a source of income – no matter what kind of writing you do.
- We’re going to be posting more book reviews! I’ve got plenty to talk about when it comes to science fiction and fantasy, and Lauren is continuing her journey of discovery with writer’s reference guides. She’s also excited to write more about famous books by dead white guys.
- Another thing we’re frequently asked about is writing mechanics – grammar, punctuation, and style. Lauren’s working on a series of posts aimed at helping you improve your writing craft as easily and painlessly as possible. Check in next Thursday for the complete run-down on Latin abbreviations.
- We also recognize there’s only so much we can cover in our own articles. We try to retweet and share every interesting article we come across on our Facebook page and Twitter feed, but we know not everyone lives on social media. So we’re going to start compiling all the best links we find each week for your browsing pleasure – everything from practical writing advice to inspiring, original creative work. We’ll be posting these on Fridays so you have some thought-provoking weekend reading.
- And if you must know, the reason I haven’t been posting the past couple of weeks is because I’ve been working on something really special for all of you… I’m putting together a FREE ebook that will give you enough inspiration to last through the whole year. I’m going to add it to the site over the weekend, but if you want to get the link as soon as it’s online, just subscribe to our newsletter and you’ll be the first to know.
There’s one last thing we’re playing around with in 2013 that will hopefully allow us to expand, pay our authors, cover the costs of hosting this website…and help our readers out at the same time.
Lauren and I have wracked our brains trying to figure out a way we can give more individualized help and attention to the aspiring writers who read our blog for guidance. So we’ve decided to start offering our services as creative writing mentors. We’re not going to be pushy about our services, but we did want to make a brief formal announcement for those who might be interested.
So if you’re struggling with your writing and need immediate guidance, you now have the option to get one-on-one coaching from a professional writer who’s been there and can help you identify your weak points. Just drop us a line telling us a little about your problem. We’ll take it from there. :)
We love feedback. Is there anything else you’d like to see us talk about more on the blog? Please feel free to contact us or leave your suggestions in the comments below.